LGBT+ History Month
Greenshaw celebrates LGBT+ History Month.
Miss Wadey and Mr Harvey would like to introduce themselves as the new LGBTQ+ co-ordinators at Greenshaw...
We are both passionate about the experience of our LGBTQ+ members and allies at school. We both feel strongly that the values of equality, understanding and inclusion are an integral part of the Greenshaw experience and are determined to show this through a commitment to celebrating the LGBTQ+ community across Greenshaw, the UK and beyond!
This month at Greenshaw we have been celebrating LGBTQ+ history month. As the new LGBTQ+ co-ordinators, we have commemorated the festival with daily updates on online events to attend, films to watch, books to read, websites to access and people to study. You can find the list below and have also been sharing them on our social media. Whilst it has been unfortunate that we have not been able to celebrate LGBTQ+ history month in person, we have been able to try show what is out there in the virtual world.
As part of LGBTQ+ History Month, we have been and will continue to look at various icons and historical figures. A personal favourite of ours is the late John E Fryer, an American psychologist who bravely and publicly announced his sexuality during a conference, which in part led to homosexuality no longer being considered a mental illness in America. Dr Fryer was so scared on making this appearance that he did it anonymously under a mask with a voice modulator. He took a great risk to his personal life and career to defend the rights of fellow members of the LGBTQ+ community.
As your new LGBTQ+ co-ordinators, we are a here to help and support you with any issues you may be facing or questions that you might have. Do not hesitate to get in touch.
Miss Wadey and Mr Harvey
Please click on the links below for more information:
- If you would like to see more events that are happening today and this month you can follow this link.
- A talk and interactive workshop from the Book28 Library.
- Some heroes from the LGBTQ+ rights charity, Stonewall.
- Hidaya - a charity and safe space for queer Muslims and allies.
- Why not try some LGBTQ+ friendly and informative movies? Check out some of these.
- The "It gets better" project: An American group that has come together to share stories of how the lives of members of the LGBTQ+ community have improved as they have grown older.
Online talk by Ray Woolford, ‘Kath Duncan – the importance of working class LGBTQ women in history, and why we need to reclaim this LGBT History Month our icons and our heroes’. The talk will be live-streamed – sign-up details on the day here – and recorded for later viewing here.