Charging for school activities
It is a statutory requirement that educational activities during the school day be provided without charge to parents, except in the case of the following:
- individual and group instrumental music lessons given by peripatetic teachers;
- those items made in design and technology lessons which parents have agreed to pay for and keep;
- school visits where parents have agreed to make a voluntary contribution to the cost, subject to the following conditions:
– parents in receipt of income support or family credit are exempt;
– parents who find it difficult to make a contribution can be assisted by the school;
- if all parents who could make a voluntary contribution do not do so, the activity will be cancelled unless the school has an alternative source of finance.